After days went by without any trench work, I was determined to get in a few hours of digging on Sunday. With only a couple hours of sunlight left, I gathered some tools, headed over to the site, and started by cleaning any leaves and debris from the trench. Hidden under some leaves was a mound of worms, huddled together, all snuggly and squishy. As I looked under more leaves, I found more and more clumps of tangled worms. I couldn’t stand the thought of accidentally chopping them to pieces with the mattock, so I ended up spending the next hour picking all the worms out of the trench. I eventually moved hundreds of worms into our hugelkultur raised beds, but only after spending some quality time with them.