The permanent position for the foundation has been staked out. The first afternoon Noel and I went out there we started out by marking some key points on the house plans, and then transferring those points onto the ground using triangulation. It was boring, and frustrating at times, and took forever.
The next time we went out to work on flagging the foundation, we decided to use our own methods. We had enough marked already that by looking at the plan and the existing points we could figure out the rest, checking our measurements as we went along. To figure out how dramatically the rounded “corners” of the space should curve, I would just mark a curving line in the clay, stand back and study how it made me feel, and then keep changing it until the space felt comfortable. Each of the “corners” has a somewhat different curve to it, with a more dramatic curve to the southeast corner, and more squarish curves on the northern corners. In what in the end amounted to around one full day of work, we had it all staked out, and felt really satisfied with our results.
Here I realized we could add another 2 inches to the width of the house. It’s going to be so spacious:
Check out that nice curve: